[back to top]

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #yeduwirofu-4 | 2020-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is my entry to LOWREZJAM 2020. There's the version I submitted onto Itch to meet the deadline yesterday, but I found a couple more bugs that really needed addressing, so here's 1.1 for your consideration.

Clever Pixel is an abstract dungeon crawler with Metroidvania elements. You start off in control of a single pixel and explore a large maze-like world battling other creatures. Collect red pixels to unlock new areas, search for the Mega Key, collect upgrades, and uncover secrets.

Controls:
Arrow keys, X - drop/shoot pixels, Z- upgrade menu.

The only requirements of the jam were for the game to run at 64x64, so I used Pico's mode 3 so everything would be rendered at the lower resolution. It was interesting working at this resolution, it gave much more space for a sprawling game world, 16x8 screens rather than the usual 8x4 on the map. I was able to recycle a little bit of code from some of my previous projects and some bits of code for what's probably going to end up as some sequel/prequel to the game with some similar mechanics, which helped move things along. Other than that, it was 16 days of pretty frantic work. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, it was a lot of fun to code :)

1.0 - The version submitted to the game jam
1.1 - Fixed some bugs. I d wish I'd wrote down which ones
1.2 - Fixed some other bugs/issues: boss/player-projectile collision, widened some areas of the game world, added a few more power-ups and collectibles to make the East side of the world map less empty/frustrating.
1.3 - Fixed a few more missing map tiles that were screwing up the camera, added a respawn option on the pause menu in case you still manage to get stuck or just want to go back to the last checkpoint for... reasons ;)

The game features a famous cheat code

P#80899 2020-08-17 23:28 ( Edited 2020-11-22 13:13)

Cart #sekibufega-1 | 2020-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is the game 'Dragon's Playground' made for Tom Hall's #RNDGAME2020. I had so much fun coding this, it was good to work under the requirements of a game jam, it really tested my programming ability--working to a deadline. Anyway, great fun, Dragon's Playground is a top-down, free-roaming shoot'em-up where you control Azron, scourge of the realms. You must incinerate the realm, defeat wizards, elves and knights to assert true dominance over the kingdom.
There are still a few lingering bugs that I would like to fix, but I am happy to share this game as part of a game jam, my first. Great fun!

Controls:
X - Breathe fire
Z - Charge breath

v1.0 - Jam version
v1.1 - Added a fillp effect to make smoke less overwhelming, fixed a bug that ended game prematurely after first game was over.

P#77201 2020-05-26 00:51 ( Edited 2020-08-31 14:47)

Cart #difamwet-4 | 2022-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Banana Chase is a fast-paced arcade maze game or 'collect'em up' where you are Monty, a very hungry monkey. Eat your way through 28 levels of fruit-based action as you uncover the mystery of the magical forest.

•Chain together combos of fruit to get the most points.
•Don't eat mushrooms!
•Two difficulties, Easy and Hard.
•Five different types of fruit to eat.
•Three different enemies, learn the tricks and tactics to circumvent them.
•28 levels, explore the magic forest and complete the wizard's quest.
•Complete the game in the fastest time.

X - Advance chat, hide UI
Z - Level skip

This started off life as a very simple demo, and my first attempt at making a Pico-8 game. I didn't like leaving it unfinished, so I've been steadily adding to it on and off over the last few months.

I really admire speedrunning, so I tried to make this game as speedrun friendly as possible.

I didn't really have any particular inspiration in mind when making the game. I teach programming in schools with Scratch and it was kind of based on one of the games I make in that. It ended up kind of Pac-Man-esque, in that you collect things and are in a kind of maze, but that's a bit of a stretch.

[0x0]

Old Versions

Version 3

Cart #difamwet-3 | 2022-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version 2

Cart #difamwet-2 | 2020-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version History

v3.01 - Fixed an issue with best times not being carried between games, added cartdata functionality to save best times between sessions.
v3.0 - It's four years later and I'm still fiddling around with this: Added a tutorial to explain how the hell scoring works; a sprite outline effect to make objects stand out better; particle effects because particle effects. This was all made possible by streamlining much of the code, no more tables as containers for variables. Probably some other changes I forgot about.
v2.1 - After some great feedback (thanks @jeb!) I've made some changes I was kicking myself for not thinking of.
•Added a walking animation for the monkey
•Added a third difficulty, so now there's Easy - 125pts per level, Normal - 250pts and Hard - 500pts. You can easily get through easy (pun intended) in under fifteen minutes.
•Made a bunch of minor adjustments to map layouts, there shouldn't be such a big difficulty spike in the mid-game now.
•Fruit should no longer appear directly adjacent to or on top of the monkey. Less broken streaks!

If you're a cheat, there is a famous cheat code you can enter at the title screen.

P#76571 2020-05-14 17:50 ( Edited 2022-12-24 17:29)

Cart #dominion_ex-4 | 2021-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dominion Ex is a vertical-scrolling shoot'em up. Fight 14 different enemies with 4 weapons over 3 levels of space action. (That's 168 pieces of fun!)

It features two difficulties and a ship upgrade system to allow for different play-styles and strategies.

Tips

Some enemies are immune to certain weapons. Look out for blue forcefields!

Collect coins to pay for ship upgrades.

If things are getting too intense you can use the FTL drive to escape to the hangar and make some upgrades to your ship.

This was a lot of fun to code and a big learning experience. So let me know how you find the game!

Version history

v1.11 - Fixed an issue where game would hang in the hangar (haha.) Particles now clear properly when visiting the hangar. Added a hint for how to get to the hangar for people who don't read the description on Newgrounds.
1.1 - Added many particle effects. Overhauled and simplified title screen menu. Added more feedback and info on the HUD. Added level names. Brightened up blue enemy projectiles. Adjust orange enemy projectile spread. Added overheat sound. Added some simple tutorial text. Added a highlight effect to life and coin power-ups.
1.01 (unreleased) - Fixed a bug where high scores were not recorded properly. Fixed a music bug after fighting a boss.
1.0 - Initial version

Old versions

Cart #dominion_ex-2 | 2021-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #dominion_ex-0 | 2020-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#73231 2020-02-19 16:25 ( Edited 2021-10-05 18:56)